Every day is an adventure with a new baby; make the most of your first 6 weeks with your little bundle of joy.
After the amazing accomplishment of giving birth, there are many new experiences to come. There are numerous ways you can do make the first months with your new baby memorable and special. Follow these tips to make the most of your baby’s first 6 weeks.
- Sleep when baby sleeps (short naps will fight off serious fatigue).
- Let dad and other family members step in whenever possible.
- Be specific when you let friends and family know how they can help; they might want to get involved but just don’t know how.
- Remember that chores can wait (you’ll never get this time with your baby again).
- If you’ll be breastfeeding, make sure you have at least four nursing bras.
- Keep a baby care book handy for reference.
- Don’t get offended by unsolicited advice; just smile and say thank you, and who knows, maybe some of it may come in handy later.
- Record memories of feelings and experiences so you can share them when your child is older.
- Keep a regular photo log of your baby’s growth by photographing with a toy or other item to really see the changes over time.
- Don’t remove the tags from all baby clothes until you know what sizes you’ll need; you may be able to exchange things if baby outgrows them before they can be worn.
- Make the most of your own sleep by waiting to be sure baby is really awake before you go to him; sometimes babies just make noises and then settle back to sleep.
- Choose easy-to-remove baby clothing, especially at night, to make changing easier.
- Get light exercise; you can take baby with you on a walk around your neighborhood and you’ll feel more energized and less stressed.
- Don’t compare yourself to other mothers; you know what’s best for your family.
- Do your research, but trust your instincts to interpret what you find.
- Make “couple time” each day to spend with your husband, even if it’s only a few minutes to enjoy each other’s company.
- Make a bedtime routine of soothing music, bath, or baby massage to relax you and baby.
- Read to your baby from the time he is born; you’ll instill a lifelong love of learning.
- Expect to experience a range of emotions, good and bad; it’s normal and healthy.
- Enjoy your body’s return to pre-pregnancy form (for the most part).
- Appreciate every moment and don’t rush the next milestone!
Enjoy your first 6 weeks with your new baby, and make the most of this magical time. Have questions? Palms West Hospital’s Pediatrics department can help you with any medical issues your child may have. You can also call our free Consult-A-Nurse service at 1-888-256-7723.